I love this video on the history of computer games and games design. It was made as part of a university project by games design students from Munich. It really shows the progression of devices, graphics and game play since 1958.
The only thing that seems to be missing is the Microsoft Kinect. There final type of controller is future looking and consists of Augmented Reality Glasses (I wonder how long it will be until we get something like that which is commercially viable?)
The games and controllers showcased in the video are listed below – how many do you remember?
- Tennis for Two, Oscilloscope, 1958
- Pacman, Arcade, 1980
- Donkey Kong, NES, 1986
- Sonic the Hedgehog, Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, 1991
- Street Fighter II. SNES, 1991
- Super Mario 64, Nintendo 64, 1996
- Final Fantasy VII, Sony Playstation, 1997
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursiut 2, Sony Playstation 2, 2002
- Ecco the Dolphin, Sega Dreamcast, 2000
- Super Smash Bros. Melee, Nintendo Game Cube, 2001
- Wii Sports Golf, Nintendo Wii, 2006
- God of War III, Sony Playstation 3, 2010
- Rock Band, XBox 360, 2008