Google has recently launched a family centre to tackle some of the issues surrounding Internet Safety and Responsible Use.
The aims of the family centre are:
- Provide parents and teachers with tools to help them choose what content their children see online
- Offer tips and advice to families about how to stay safe online
- Work closely with organizations such as charities, others in our industry and government bodies dedicated to protecting young people
The site is split into four main sections:
1. Google safety tools
Google builds tools into their products that help you manage Internet safety. SafeSearch and YouTube Safety Mode help you control the type of content you see on these services.
2. Report abuse Several Google products enable users to share their own content and they count on millions of community users to report abuse on these platforms.
3. Advice from partners Google works closely with partner organisations in the US.
4. Video tips from Google parents Watch videos of some parents at Google talking about how they manage their children’s safety online and read safety tips from Google.
Overall a useful resource for schools and home - Also, did you know that Learning and Teaching Scotland also has an Intenet Safety News blog?